Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Summer Scheduling

For some reason I feel a little behind on scheduling summer stuff. Not that I haven't tried, but nothing seems to have worked out as I imagined it would. To be honest I've been praying really hard about a couple of things and asking Heavenly Father to help things fall into place because I know my load is a little extra heavy right now and that I would trust in how things played out. Then as soon as I saw Lila's dance tryout results I was a little disappointed and frustrated. Then after thinking about it and praying for understanding I came to realize that it is probably what is best for Lila this year to remain on the same team with a few less commitments even though it meant not dancing with her bestie because Lila also made the Robotics team at school -- wahoo. We are so excited for her to have that opportunity and she had worked hard on her application so I was grateful how things played out because there will be practices for that and a couple of Saturday competitions which could have really complicated dance season if she'd moved up a team and had to attend another dance competition. So both Lila and I are working through our emotions and are grateful she still has several friends on that team with her. 

Anyway, dance has been a major factor into not working out a schedule because the last two weeks Lila has had 3 days each week of 4 hours of rehearsal for the big end of year Showcase. Then the showcase last week and Ellie started WSU Prep last week so I'm still getting up at 6:30 to cook breakfast, pack a lunch and get her off. And I did not know what the rest of Lila's summer dance schedule would look like until the teams were posted yesterday at noon. Let's just say between the 2 older girls schedules it got crazy trying to kind of come up with a schedule like I've done the last few years so this morning I decided that I would make a list of the things I would like the kids to accomplish each day then when the list was done they could ask for special privileges. So kind of a get it in when it works for you and you know what, it worked wonders this morning. I went for a walk with my friend this morning while temperatures are still a little cooler and took Marcus with me eating his breakfast and left Lila and Andrew with their computer school work to do and they did it and more and were so excited to complete things on the to do list. Let's hope this enthusiasm continues.


Also we were blessed with a little tender mercy when one of our favorite tennis coaches sent me a text yesterday and said he was offering tennis classes again. I had worked so hard to try and find tennis classes for the girls but nothing seemed to quite work out so when I got his text yesterday I quickly checked our schedule and miraculously the days and times worked great for us so I signed them up and they start this evening and are so excited!

Other summer happenings so far; We made a trip to Rupert right after school got out to spend the only long weekend Ellie has out from Prep up there. We took Enzo with us because he and Marcus are best buds and Nessa was flying out to meet Nate for his birthday. He and Andrew fell asleep on the way there.

The kids fished, boated, and just enjoyed being in Idaho with family.





Even Marcus and Enzo rode the little ski trainer. Marcus has youngest child syndrome bad and loves to do whatever the big kids are doing and he really like riding the ski trainer and we had to pull him off for Enzo's turn.

















Steve enjoyed teaching the girls how to drive the boat.


We went to church with Grandpa Elwood Olenslager and then visited with him for a bit.




Steve taught Ellie how to row and took all the kids for a spin before we left Monday.



















Then we hustled home for Lila's long rehearsal and Ellie started Prep the next day. So that evening we went through and cleaned out backpacks since we dropped everything and left when the girls got home from school. Ellie had spent the last day of school hanging with friends. She rode the bus to school, signed year books then they walked the trail to Fiiz to get a drink and lunch. She was nice and bought her friend a drink and lunch. But she walked in just minutes before Lila got home so we quickly finished our preparations and hit the road without looking at what was in their backpacks. Then Wednesday was Lila's big showcase and I didn't take any video or pictures during because to be honest I've videoed the competition numbers several times already this year and they give us a DVD of the show so I just didn't even think to, but there was one time where I wish I would have. We happened to sit on the correct side of the stage to see Lila during their big opening number and the grin on her face then and when they came back out at the end for a bow was priceless -- that girl loves to dance so it doesn't really matter which team she makes it's a way for her to express herself and have fun. I did snap a picture of the team receiving gift baskets all the Moms had contributed to.




Then Friday the dance studio rents out the Clearfield aquatic center for everyone and their families to swim so we took the kids to that and had a blast and even Marcus loved going down the big slide with Steve. I told them we would only stay until 9pm and then I gave into staying a little longer, but somehow right before we were getting ready to leave Andrew swallowed a bunch of water and you know he's my easy gag reflux kid -- Steve and I could see it coming so I ran him into the bathroom and we managed to avoid a major catastrophe for all.




The next night, Saturday one of the companies Steve consults for was having a party at the zoo. They rented it after hours so the company basically had the whole place to themselves. They had a yummy bbq dinner for us and gave us each 3 snack tickets to use for popcorn, drinks, churros (so we had 18 of those) and the carousel and train rides were free. We walked in about 5pm and wait straight to dinner, then walked around for a bit, rode the carousel a couple of times, got churros, then caught the elephant show, the kids got their faces painted (this was an activity Andrew insisted on us doing and he picked a pink hummingbird with lots of glitter because he wanted to be pretty--what can I say other than he has 2 older sisters -- Marcus of course wanted a blue catboy and the artist was kind enough to oblige and did a great job), then the bird show which is so fun there and then we walked around for a bit more and rode the train as our last activity. We were there right until the end. The kids loved it and I think I may buy a membership for this coming year before the boys get in school full-time so I can go with them a lot.






















Then since we were down in that area Steve and I ran into Trader Joe's for a few things one of which was toasted coconut pancakes that were delicious -- maybe I'll make it down there more often if I get a membership and we can get some more of those. ;) 



Sunday, I survived a crazy schedule which was ward council, meeting with my advisors, teaching the Laurels and girls camp parent meeting, but the most amazing thing was that Ellie and I both received our YW Medallions yesterday. I'm so proud of Ellie and how hard she has worked on her Personal Progress. She is the one that motivated me by asking, "Mom can we read this together and discuss this." I loved reading and praying more about things because I could feel a loving Heavenly Father's guidance and influence more in my life. I need to get a picture with the two of us wearing our medallions.

 

Yesterday Lila started private swim lessons. I didn't realize that this would be the only week Lila didn't have dance so I was once again grateful to have found one lesson I could squeeze her into and it has been going great and just what I needed for her. 


Then I figured I'd sign the boys up for a rec swim class some time while the girls are busy with dance and prep so it would be something unique for the boys. See how things just seem to keep working out even though my planning has been a bit chaotic. I need to learn to turn things over to Heavenly Father more often and trust in his plan.

Then for a fun family activity we decided to go for a bike ride and hit Kneaders again. I was hoping the kids would want to get dinner there but they loved getting cheesecake last time that they voted for eating a quick sandwich then getting dessert again. Poor Lila had an incident soon after we left the house she some how crashed right into a fire hydrant leaving some rashes and bruises, but she was a trooper and said she wanted to keep going and we went far 7.5 miles. As soon as we hit the trail Marcus said, "I want to pedal and go." So we decided after Kneaders to give Marcus a turn on the copilot bike and he loved it. He's legs aren't quite long enough to pedal all the way around so he just kept pumping the pedals back and forth -- one foot pushed back as far as it would go then the other forward. So cute and funny. He was not happy when the ride was over.




Today after Lila's swim lessons I took the kids to the splash pad for some fun. The boys are a little sad they don't get to swim with Lila every day so that was our compromise for the day. We had a little picnic and they had a great time.











Looking forward to more productive and fun summer days ahead!