Ellie had her first piano recital on Saturday, Dec. 1st. She started taking lessons at the beginning of September and has quickly caught on. She loves it and after the first couple of weeks asked if she could have go to lessons twice a week. I told her she could practice and play as much as she wants at home, but we can only do lessons once a week. Her teacher did something this year called, "Playing for Presents." The students were asked how many Christmas songs they could memorize in a 6 week period and then get sponsors to donate money based on that number. The money then went to help local families in need. Ellie memorized 4 pieces earning $45 and played We Three Kings of Orient Are for the recital (that song is a full two pages and I'm so proud of her). I had to reduce the quality of the video to post on the blog so hopefully you can hear it. :)
Last night our neighborhood did a "Gift of Giving Night" where in lieu of giving gifts to each other we donate money for a local charity and gather to socialize with each other while enjoying hot chocolate and cookies. We explained to the girls that we were going to this neighborhood party and instead of us giving or receiving gifts from our neighbors we would donate money to families in need. Ellie, bless her little heart, has been saving her money to buy a school shirt she wants really bad. She has $6 and I recently told her I would give her extra chores so she could earn the other $3 she needs. After we explained the nature of the party she said, "I would like to donate $3 of my dollars." I was suprised because I know how badly she wants the shirt and said, "Are you sure?" I immediately felt guilty for my shock and doubt and said, "That is a wonderful idea and your donation will help another person who has nothing." She carried her money all the way to the party and I let her put hers and our money in the donation box. She hasn't even asked about the shirt since then. LOVE HER!!