Thursday, April 17, 2014

Loopy Lila

After a frustrating week with the urologist we went back to Lila's primary care physician, whom I really like. He listened and put a plan of action in place. Today she had a VCUG done. The urologist told us it was a painful procedure and she did not want to order it, but I need answers--I need to know if something is wrong and that her kidneys aren't being affected. I had a nice pediatric nurse from the McKay Dee hospital call to scheduled the procedure and talk me through everything. They gave Lila a mild sedative through a nasal mist to relax her since the procedure required a catheter to put in a contrast agent for the imaging. They had a child life specialist meet us out front and talk with Lila about the procedure using a little doll she got to draw on while we talked with the nurse and doctor. We did not have to wait at all, things moved along smoothly and Lila was a real trooper. We laughed about how it was x day at preschool and she actually got to have x-rays done. I stayed with her the whole time through the imaging.When the nurse put on the protective gown I found it ironic that she couldn't find the thyroid shield (I'm having half of my thyroid removed in a few weeks). They told us the imaging would take about 20 minutes, but we were done around 10 minutes. The nurse and doctor said she did great and that is the fastest they have ever seen that test done. :) I could tell the medicine had taken affect because her eyes were heavy and when I talked to her it took her a while to process. They told me I could carry her back to the room and when I picked her up she almost fell backwards because she was so loosy goosy. She couldn't keep her flip flops on-we picked up those shoes so many times on the way to the car that we finally just carried her and the shoes separate. 

Before the procedure we told her we would take her out to eat since she had to fast and she requested we go to a restaurant so as we were exiting the hospital we asked her where she wanted to go and she said, "you remember when I told you I wanted to go to restaurant?" "Yes, that's why we're taking you." "Oh that's funny." Then as we passed the construction zone of the hospital she said, "wait. stop. back-up I need you to read that sign to me." She was really animated and funny--more than normal. We tried to take some video at lunch, but every time the camera came out she stopped to watch what we were doing. It wore off pretty quickly, but she was still tired and her muscles a little loose so I kept her home from preschool (it was x-day I told her it was pretty cool she got to actually have an x-ray on x-day) and dance to keep my eyes on her. We should hear from the doctor tomorrow with the results.