Today we have the privilege of voting (well Steve and I mailed in our ballots almost two weeks ago). We've had some interesting discussions with our kids this year especially since I realized the next presidential election Ellie will be old enough to vote.
The school recognizes this too and did a special election class last week where they talked about the election process and then the school held it's own election. When she came home we talked about it and she said something to the affect that she voted for Kanye West because "she's a cool girl" (yes he made the Utah ballot). . .ahem, I said that's great your vote is yours and you don't have to tell anyone who you voted for but since this is a learning process let's talk about it. First of all Kanye is a boy, second his attempt to run for president fell really short because his name isn't even on all the state ballots, so that vote in a real race would not really be effective. Then we explained that's why it's important to do your research on the candidates and know their policies and what they stand for. Steve told her that's why we really like doing our mail in ballots because we can sit with our ballots and do research about each candidate/issue and make an informed decision. We spend an 1-3 hours filling out our ballots. I think it opened her eyes a little. I even added this morning that it's probably a good idea to pray before voting.
We also talked about how we don't really like the party system because it has made the country so divisive -- if we learned anything from Hamilton it's how they still worked together (hello the person with the most votes was president and the second most votes was vice president). Steve then made a stunning announcement to us all. He talked about how Trump has said if the election does not go his way he plans to fight a legal battle and Steve says if he does he plans on protesting because the very foundation of our democracy stands on our votes being heard. I agree with him but with all the protesting that's happening now it made my heart drop a little. I'm praying that the Lord will find a way to heal our nation both politically and physically right now.
On a lighter note, Marcus came home from preschool yesterday with an "I Voted" sticker. We were slightly jealous because we didn't get one with our mail in ballots. He was so excited to show us his ballots and explain how many votes each item got:
Favorite Food: Pizza 4 (where he voted), Donuts 6, Oranges 1
Favorite Color: Red 3, Blue 7 (where he voted), Yellow 1
We wish our election was that much fun. His teacher is so cute -- we love love her and are so glad we are there this year!
Steve just sent me this image - my vote has officially been counted (I erased some of my personal info for safety).
We also had the privilege of celebrating Steve's birthday this weekend. He turned 41 so for a few short weeks the three oldest ages contain all the same digits (41, 41, & 14 oh and we have a 4 year-old, crazy!). We took it easy on Sunday and had some special food with his family favorite Miami Beach birthday cake. Then that evening I helped him setup a game night with his graduate study friends and he was up way too late chatting and playing with them ;) I'm glad he had fun! We love you Steve and are grateful for your love, support, and even your dedication to democracy.



