Saturday, January 21, 2023

Rock the New Year Dance

Ellie's has several good friend that attend Davis High (we are right on the boundary for Layton and Davis and then Ellie chose NUAMES so she has had the opportunity to participate in activities at all three schools with friends). Anyway, her friend Emily talked her into asking a boy to attend the Davis New Year Dance. So clear back in November she asked a boy in our neighborhood/ward who attends Davis. His response was fun and I laugh every time I think of him gluing on those mini m&ms.

 

The first week in January there was a little bump in the road as Emily's date told her he could no longer attend. So the girls scrambled to brainstorm ideas and Ellie's date was understanding and actually helped get a date for Emily so they could still go snowshoeing on Friday together as their day date. So Friday came, Steve and I loaded the van with gear and drove the kids up to Snowbasin (one of the parents was not comfortable with Ellie driving up there). We helped them gear up and then we took off on yak traks hiking around. It was great snow and the snow shoes would have definitely been preferable as we sunk several time with the yak traks. They managed to find a trail that took them up and over this little creek and we could see them out having fun. I didn't take any pictures of them because we were trying to give them space so here's a selfie Steve and I took.


After about an hour of snowshoeing they were ready to head home so we loaded up and I poured out hot cocoa for everyone to drink on our drive home. We saw this amazing sunset on our way home with the temple it was just beautiful.

 

The kids packed sack dinners so they could eat while they were out snowshoing but they chose to eat when they got back to the house. I also put out a charcuterie board as a supplement to their dinner and with a little sweet treat. Then they played games.


Saturday we got up and took the kids skiing for the morning and told everyone that that is our plan for the rest of the ski season. We want to be on the road by 8am to beat the rush and just enjoy the morning ski then be home by early afternoon. Everyone had a good time. Marcus had a little incident with Porcupine lift. It's not an express so it doesn't slow down when loading and he got his skis tangled with Ellie's heading to the lift and then didn't get on the seat so Steve was holding him by his arm as he hung from the lift (honestly, I cannot believe how calm I was during the whole thing watching it). Then Steve let go of him right over this puff of snow. Marcus came back to ride the lift with me and he was a little shaken up, covered with snow. We managed to get on the lift ok and then he said landing in the powder was so soft but he never wants to do that lift again. I told him we wouldn't do it that day but he would do it again because he can we will just make sure he is on an edge so he can't get his skis tangled and he can grab the side of the lift chair to pull himself up. I had him practice that on the next lift even though he didn't really need it. Also Lila decided she likes to ski groomers, yay! That means she can ski with Marcus and I so next week we're going to split up and setup a time/place to meet so the powder hounds can do their thing and us groomers can do our thing. 

We had lunch and Ellie did some homework then we began getting ready for the dance. I didn't take too many pictures before hand because Ellie had lined up our friend Brindy to do pictures and they turned out amazing. Then they went to dinner at Cafe Sabor then to the dance. Everyone looked amazing and they had a really good time at the dance. There was a swing hour at the beginning of the dance where the swing club taught them some moves and Ellie and her date Tyler had fun doing some of that. 



  

Then they came back here for dessert. I made mini pizookies for each of them to have ice cream and toppings on top. I managed to find those exact ramekins and it was a sweet end to a fun evening.