Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Rollercoaster Couple of Weeks

We survived the first couple of days back to school in the new year. We're still getting into routines with new schedules and classes. Steve and I started playing in an indoor pickleball league which has been a lot of fun so far. I was really nervous about it that first night, but we had a fun group and the next week was just as fun with a new group of people. We sure love our puzzle subscription and finished up our 12th puzzle this week.

 

About 6 months ago I started having tooth sensitivity to cold that turned into some major jaw pain. I've seen my dentist probably 10 times in the last 6 months and we have not been able to figure out what is going on. Mid December I remember biting down and both teeth hurting and at that point I knew I would have to go back but I was hoping to make it through the holidays. So I called the dentist, Jan 4th, the day the kids went back to school and made an appointment for the next day. Looking back now, I know it was a tender mercy that I did make it through the holidays and that the spirit prompted me to go ahead and make that appointment because that night my teeth/jaw started hurting really really bad. I took 4 Advil and 30 minutes later I was not feeling any better it was a rough night. Unfortunately, the next day my dentist could not figure out what was causing it. He did not like the way the new crown looked that he had just put on in October so he wanted to start work on that and at one point I was in so much pain (he had numbed me but I could feel the throbbing through the numbing) that I asked to sit up so I could get my head above my heart and I hate to admit it but it hurt so bad I was crying. They gave me an ice pack and finished up taking impressions and I just looked at my dentist and I said, "just pull the tooth. I'm done." And he said that wouldn't help and I said you can't send me home like this. He called to check on me later that night and I told him I was not doing well. He told me about an extra strong dosage of Tylenol/Advil I could take every 6 hours and I was barely holding it together with that. So in the middle of the night I started looking at flying to see Steve's brother Doug and then I was googling emergency dentists, endodontists etc. I found a weekend dentist who had really good reviews on google. He doesn't take insurance but I needed to do something so I made an appointment on his website and Steve took me. He was really worried about me and I was worried about seeing a little unorthodox dentist. He ended up being really nice and he determined that two of my bottom teeth had died because I couldn't feel the cold at all. He offered to do on full root canal and then put some numbing meds in the far back one which is said is a little trickier (my dentist said that at one appointment too). So he started work and he did a pretty good job. It was a little expensive but I was in a lot of pain and just wanted it to go away. He did say that he saw a little infection in the back tooth so he prescribed me an antibiotic. I started feeling a little better but was still taking pain meds to manage some pain and sensitivity after the work.

That Saturday night, Ellie went to hangout with Porter, Lila had some friends over to watch the new Hunger Games movie and Andrew had the really late basketball game. Lila's friends were cute. They made Italian Sodas and we made a Creami in my new blender (that to be honest will probably be going back because I don't love it that much and it takes up a lot of space). Then we took Andrew to his game which happened to be against probably the best team we ever played. They had a really big kid on their team that they just kept bounce passing it to in the center who could just lay it up every time. The team played hard and everyone had some great plays. Andrew got a couple of shots off that hit the rim and then in the last 5 minutes he had 3 baskets. It was awesome! and such a confidence boost for him.

I managed to get myself and everyone to church on Sunday. I was getting a new calling so I felt like I needed to be there to give the new nursery leader my keys and manual and stuff (I'm really sad to be leaving the nursery) but after the first hour I realized I was not going to make it longer. My mouth hurt and ironically a tooth on top was hurting. So Steve took me home. Then after church he gave everyone new year father's blessings. They were special. And then everyone took a little nap.

 

Monday morning I began calling endodontists to finish up that far back root canal. Then we realized that Steve's company changed dental insurances without sending out new cards so we were trying to figure that out and it was a little crazy. The earliest and endodontist could get me in was a week later and he wouldn't do two root canals because at this point I was certain the top tooth needed one. So after making that appointment for a week later my dentist called me and I explained to him that I was in so much pain I went to an emergency dentist and told him the story and he said come in now and I'll look at that top tooth. Sure enough it needed a root canal and also had a little infection in it too. He started the root canal but did not have time to finish it so he packed it and sent me home with an appointment for 8 days later to finish it up. The next day the endodontist called and said they had an opening in their schedule Wednesday the very next day so I took it so he could finish the root canal on that far back tooth. He did a good job and I have to say it was so nice to be the only patient in his office while he was working on me and he had some special tools to do that tooth. The only problem was the top tooth was still sensitive and he kept hitting it sending a sharp pain through the top. I asked him to take a couple of extra x-rays and look around to see if anything looked suspicious to cause me to need 3 root canals within 5 days (basically had one every other day). He didn't see anything and said the other two root canals looked good. Anyway, my mouth is finally doing a lot better and I'm not taking any pain meds. I'm still being a little careful and chewing mostly on the other side. And I may have maxed out my dental insurance already for the year without the emergency dentist costs. I lectured the kids about oral health and when I tell them to brush their teeth, I mean with toothpaste for 2-4 minutes so they don't have to deal with this. I also talked with them about savings so you have a cushion for emergencies like this.

On top of this Marcus came home from school with a missing top front tooth. It is so cute and his story about how he lost it at school was just so fun to listen to.

 

It was also hope week so I was able to volunteer for the amazing hope squad leader and do a fun recess activity. Marcus came to visit me but Andrew forgot. We also had to come up with a creative way to do crazy sock day since it was snowing and they wanted to wear their snowboots.

 

This past Sunday Marcus came to me right before church and said his primary teachers asked them to bring their own Book of Mormon to church. We have several floating around we use as a family and I told him we would find him one to use until his 8th birthday when he will get his own special set of scriptures with a case. I was also printing book marks with the 2024 Come Follow Me reading schedule so he asked if he could have one. Then during church he sat and read it all through the first hour. Then he came home and was reading more. We talked with all the kids about setting new goals for the year and using the Children and Youth program to set a physical, spiritual, intellectual, and social goal. Marcus decided he is going to read the whole Book of Mormon before his baptism. It's a big goal and I'm proud of him for having the desire. Hopefully we can work with him to make it happen.


We left Andrew home from church because he had a little cough. It was really minor but I know a lot of stuff is going around the school and when I saw his teacher last week she was really sick so we were being extra cautious. Then Monday night both of the boys started running a fever. I decided to take them to the doctor first thing Tuesday morning because my sister had just told me that she took her kids to the doctor last week because they were flying to Cabo to see my Mom & Dad and she didn't want to get them sick so she needed to know what they were dealing with. It was the flu so her doctor said since it was early they could do tamiflu and it cut their symptoms quick. Apparently tamiflu is an antiviral so it stops the virus from being able to replicate thus cutting symptoms but you have to start it within 48 hours of symptoms or there is no point because the virus has already replicated and done it's worst. Our doctor was great, got us in quickly and sure enough the boys had the flu. He prescribed them some tamiflu that we filled right there in the pharmacy (my sister had a hard time finding the liquid for her kids so I was grateful that pharmacy had it and we could get it so quickly). The boys fevers have already broke and they are just fighting a runny/stuffy nose. I kept them home from school today, it was a wild one weather wise so I thought it would be good for them to have another day of rest. And they are missing their first activity days of the year and first one ever for Marcus but I think it best we take an extra day and not spread our germs. Mostly they've been enjoying watching TV upstairs which is relaxing and keeps them a bit quarantined. I go up to check on them and take them food and meds.

 

Boy am I grateful for modern medicine and for my sister sharing her story so I could be inspired to take my boys in quickly (a friend has been fevering for 5 days with this flu bug, so sad). I'm grateful for our home that keeps us warm and dry during these cold wintery days and for our health and strength. Even with all that is going on Steve and I have been able to squeeze in some workouts. We started Metcon100 on Nourish Move Love and are enjoying pushing ourselves. Ellie is joining us 2-3 times a week which has been fun. She is also riding the bike on the trainer trying to get in her miles for the arctic 500 (500 miles of riding from Thanksgiving to April 1st). Well there you have it. Our little adventures as we start this year and try to keep up with life.