Lila has been preparing to dance at the Layton High Homecoming Football game half time show with her team since the beginning of August. She has been so nervous to perform in front of her peers. I think the assembly that day may have been the pinnacle of nerves for her. She said it went well. Her friend NelRae (who also sister to Ellie's boyfriend Porter) snapped a picture and sent it to Ellie. Lila's friend Brielle whom she has danced with a couple of years sent her the sweetest text after the assembly. All confidence boosting experiences. I told the boys we would be going to the football game and they were super excited. They said, "a real football game? tackle football?" Then I said we were going to watch Lila dance during half time and Andrew said with true awe in his voice, "Lila is part of the half time performance?!" I told Lila her brothers think she is a rockstar, which she is.
It was a crazy Friday with a lot happening from the get go. I volunteered to facilitate the 5th grade book club which ended up being super fun! The kids were amazing and really invested in discussing the book. Then I volunteered for Fun Friday and we did Olaf Presents which also went really well. It got a little chaotic but all the kids had a lot of fun. Then we ran Andrew to orchestra after which I started making dinner in hopes that Lila would eat before she had to leave because of her nerves she had hardly eaten anything all day. I needed to run to the grocery store to pick up one item so I grabbed it then picked up Andrew and we headed back to the school where they were having the first hope squad meeting Andrew was sad to miss. This gave him a chance to meet the new advisor and complete his beginning of year survey. Then we got home and I finished dinner. Then I curled Lila's hair and she gather all of her supplies to take to the dance room to finish getting ready with the team. All the girls have been so nice and it has really been a positive experience for Lila. On my way to take her to meet the team she mentioned people would be saving seats starting at 5:30 and the game didn't start until 7pm. I really didn't want to go that early and wrangle the boys so we decided to take our chances finding parking and seats when we left home at 6:30. We managed to find a good parking spot in the back and a section of a row on the edge, we had to crawl over people (I couldn't believe they wouldn't stand up to let us in or out, we were there before the game started and left after the end of the halftime show, but whatever).
Lila came out and joined us for a bit on the bleachers then she went back to be with her team.
The boys were having fun watching the game and learning about the sport. The guys in front of us were nice and explaining a little bit of what was happening. When the Lancers got to a 4th down and 2 close to scoring, Andrew and Marcus both said out loud, "I wonder if they are going to go for it." The guys in front of us said, "Well their kicker was injured last week so what do you think?" The boys, "Oh was he the one on the crutches we saw?" YEP! They are going for it and they did and made it and eventually scored a touchdown which was followed by fireworks. It was quite exciting. Lila came back out but instead of crawling over everyone she just talked to me from the edge of the bleachers and handed me her phone and watch before the performance. See our seats ended up being pretty good.
The Lancers stopped the Silverwolves from scoring before half time. So it was time for the event we came to watch, Lila and her team dance. She had some friends down in front she kept talking to and a friend in band who was lined up with them to go out onto the field so that was fun for her. Her friend mouthed, "You look so beautiful Lila." Which boosted her confidence right before. You can watch the performance here
Then there was a great firework show and she was lined up along the endzone ready to cheer the football team back onto the field.
We decided to leave at that point. Lila's friends were trying to convince her to stay but she woke up at 4:30am that morning due to nerves so she was tired. We told her to head to the dance room where she received a gift all of the parents had contributed for and the Dance Company officers had written cute notes and gotten a little gift for the team too. Lila said she had a really great time and is was fun to be a part of the homecoming events. I'm so happy she felt that way.
We came home grabbed a snack and put the boys to bed. Then we watched a Reba with Lila and Miles. Saturday morning Steve and I got up and went to work in the office again. I was working on fixing up a small issue we had with the first epoxy pour and I'm pretty happy with how the fix turned out. While Steve worked on prepping the big section of the countertop for a pour. He finished leveling and routed along the edge and we decided to sand down the bottom edge a little to hopefully allow the epoxy to flow off a little better. We're hoping to bondo next Saturday before we head out for an activity so the room can air out while we are gone then pour epoxy the first weekend in October. YAY!
Then we had lunch while I cut the boys hair before heading to Andrew's violin recital. The boy rocked it of course. It was a book back recital so he was working on some really great finish work to make the song sound like an upper level book song. He did great!
Then Steve and I dropped everyone off at the house and headed to Hale Center to see Magician's Elephant. We've had tickets that day for over a year and I had been debating for weeks if we could make it and even tried to give them away to a friend but it ended up working out and I'm glad we could get out for a bit. We picked up Curry Pizza on our way home for dinner. Just as we were getting on the freeway to head home Miles sent a text that he went out biking with Julie the other intern and got a flat down at Station Park. He said Julie's Dad is picking him up so we were grateful. We'll have to teach Miles about those darn sticker weeds here in Utah and how to avoid them.
Sunday morning I put breakfast pie in the oven then I sat down to work with Marcus on preparing a talk for primary. I really wanted to get him involved. He sat right next to me and we talked about all the things we had discussed during Come Follow Me this week and read some scriptures then we made some bullet points of things we wanted to make sure were in the talk. We decided to type it up and Marcus really wanted to try typing because 3rd grade is where they really push learning how to type so I patiently sat next to him while he typed up the first two sentences of his talk. Then he said it was time for me to take over. We got to a point where we were trying to decide what to say and the song Follow the Prophet came to my mind and he was so excited to put it in his talk. As we were practicing he decided to sing that section. It was so cute! He really rocked his talk, even the primary leaders mentioned it during senior primary. It was a really good Mom moment where you are like, YAY! This went as good as I could have hoped and I have to record those to remember when things are harder. 😆 Here is his talk:
But the people who did not believe did not see the signs and miracles so the wicked set a date to put to death the believers unless the sign of Christ’s birth came. This caused great alarm for the believers. The Prophet Nephi was so worried for the people that “he went out and bowed himself upon the earth and cried mightily unto the Lord” (3Nephi 1:11). And the Lord replied in 3 Nephi 1:13: “Lift up your head and be of good cheer; for behold, the time is at hand. . .”
Like the people in these scriptures we are also preparing for the Savior to come again. As it says in the song, Follow the Prophet “Now we have a world where people are confused. If you don’t believe it, go and watch the news. We can get direction all along our way, If we heed the prophets–follow what they say.”
Our Prophet President Nelson is wonderful and shows his love for us each time he speaks. He has asked us to pray and learn how to feel the promptings of the Holy Ghost. This is something I am working on in my life as I was baptized this year and was given the gift of the Holy Ghost as a companion. I have learned how it feels when I make a wrong choice and I try to be better. I’m also learning how to recognize when I receive answers to prayers with the guidance of the Holy Ghost. The Holy Ghost can also help me think Celestial as the Prophet has asked us to do.
I have a testimony that we have a loving Heavenly Father who sends us signs and miracles each day and we can look for them as we listen and follow our prophet, He will help us prepare for the day when Christ will come again. In the name of Jesus Christ Amen







