Thursday, January 29, 2026

Days of our Lives

Unfortunately Lila got sick after my last post. I'm pretty sure she had the flu. She started slightly coughing Sunday night then she woke up with a fever and missed a lot of school which was frustrating for her but really the days she missed weren't too bad; there was an A/B day and a practice ACT (which she already took a real ACT test and rocked it). She did miss dancing with her team at a basketball halftime which was a bummer, but thus is life. She was really annoyed and frustrated with being sick. I get it, no one likes being sick but we did get to binge watch some Friends episodes (hence the title from Joey's soap opera).

 

Thankfully the rest of us were able to stay healthy. Andrew had his 2nd VEX Robotics tournament which his school hosted. So we spent Friday afternoon helping setup and they wanted to work on their bot a bit before the comp but could not bring the pins or anything home to practice with so their teacher graciously let them practice a bit at the facility once we were done helping setup.


 

Lila received her Sweetheart response from her date. I don't think I posted about her asking so here is a pic of her asking and the response. It's been fun to watch their group plan this event and reach out to others to join their group. They insisted on working on their posters together and going together to drop them off. So cute!


 

Andrew's team improved this tournament and placed 3rd in skills and 3rd overall but did not qualify for state. They were unable to successfully make the cactus they had been practicing over Christmas break but kept trying new ways to improve their scores. I am so proud of their team effort and diligence to always look or ways to improve without really getting frustrated or upset (some teams destroy their whole robot after a bad tournament but they just find ways to mod and try something new). I have several videos but this is the only pic I have during the comp and it's of their backsides (Andrew forgot to wear his VEX shirt, oh well).


 

We had regular basketball games on Saturdays, orchestra and just life for a week or so. Then on January 27th, Andrew played with the Kaysville Chamber Strings Orchestra at Abravanel Hall. It is always a treat to listen to the orchestras there and see these kids perform. Andrew's school orchestra teacher Mr Kemp was there with the Davis Youth Orchestra. We watched them perform then Andrew went out into the hall to visit with him for a bit. Mr Kemp was nice to stay and watch them play. Ironically Mr Kemp was Ellie's orchestra teacher and we found out Andrew's violin teacher's orchestra teacher also. The elementary orchestra is way below Andrew's level but he enjoys going with the kids his age and Mr Kemp appreciates him helping and supporting their sound, Andrew plans to do advanced orchestra next year at the Jr High with Mr Kemp.

I didn't get a group picture of them, hopefully at their last performance we can.

 

Ellie met me there and watched the performances then we took her to the grocery store and back to campus. Then Andrew and I picked up smoked tacos for dinner that night (Taco Tuesday yumminess). 

Thursday, January 29th I went into help Marcus's classroom with an energy popcorn experiment. It is always fun to be in his classroom this year with his amazing teachers and as I was leaving I was able to see Andrew practicing for the Chinese New Year's Dance which was a treat! I hope they email out the videos of it.


 

The weather here has been unseasonably warm and I know we need the moisture but I'm also enjoying the sunny days by going on walks and playing basketball with my boys. We're praying for moisture but there's not much else I can do so just trying to live in the moment a little and soak in some Vitamin D. We did have one day of snow so I made the kids hot cocoa as an after school snack they enjoyed with the Smore cookies I made.

 

We have also been doing some more puzzles. Steve and the boys really enjoy working on those together.