Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Whew!

We had a wonderful Christmas with family in Idaho.  We fly out of Salt Lake City tomorrow morning and so we made plans to drive to SLC today and do Build-a-Bear with Uncle Jakey since that was his present to the girls and then we were going to go see the lights and displays on Temple Square.  It snowed all last night.  We left Idaho slightly after 11am and set out on what should have been a 2.5 hour drive.  We were going to take it easy as we knew the roads may get bad at the mountain passes.  Sure enough at Sweetzer the roads and visibility started to get bad.  We slowed down and were taking our time.  I kept thinking as soon as we get down out of this mountain, but really when does that happen.  Then just at Garland we started to fish tale we crossed both lanes of traffic and ended up in the median.  Thankfully we did not hit any other car or anything else and I don't even know if the girls really knew what was happening.  I called Jake and Nessa who were ahead and told them to get off at the next exit and wait for us--there was no need for them to come back around at that point.  I was just getting ready to make some phone calls to figure out what we should do when this nice man in a LARGE Ford truck pulled over and asked if he could help us.  He spent 20 minutes helping us get back on the road which I will be forever grateful for.  Needless to say we cancelled all of our plans and headed straight for the hotel.  Jake is still on the road heading for Orem, 8 hours later.  What a stressful drive and disappointing to have to cancel all of our fun plans.  I guess we may just have to reschedule for another time in Tucson where the snow is not such a factor. On the bright side we got to spend an hour in the hotel pool with our fishy girls who swam and went under water like it hasn't been three months since our last pool adventure. Homeward bound tomorrow where ironically the high will be 45 with chances of snow during the night.