Monday, April 9, 2012

Spring Break-down

Here's what we did last week over spring break.  Monday was recovery day from a crazy weekend.  We cleaned, organized, and tried to work outside but it was a little chilly with the breeze.  We also started another potty training boot camp.  Lila, Lila, she has been putting #2s in the potty for over a year, but cannot seem to master the other.  She does so well for a while and then loses interest.  I've set a timer and she'll sit on the potty and then 5 minutes later she'll have an accident.  What is a Mom to do?

On Tuesday as we were heading to gym class I overheard Ellie and Lila talking in the back of the van.  The topic was about her favorite pony shirt she was wearing and Ellie said, "This is the third day in a row I've worn this shirt--isn't that awesome!"  Oh the simple pleasures of spring break.  To be honest I think I made her change shirts on Wednesday and then she may have worn that shirt for the rest of the week. :)

Wednesday we packed a lunch and some toys and headed for Salt Lake to play at a park with Stephanie and crew.  Steve's sister Debbie was in town with her two girls and it was a beautiful day to be outside.  The kids played for hours and we enjoyed seeing everyone.

Thursday morning I scrambled to get packed and after Lila's gym class the girls and I left for Idaho to spend some time with Mimi and Grandpa.  We went straight to Burley and had lunch with my Grandpa and Grandma Merrell and then did a little shopping in Burley before heading to their house where we spent the afternoon relaxing and making cookies.

Friday morning Mimi indulged us all with new hair-do's.  Ellie got a trim, Lila got another perm which took much better, and I went short again.  We went into to town for a ranch burger and to visit my Grandpa and Grandma Olenslager.  As we were eating lunch Ellie said, "Hey, Mom they are playing a country song and there are a whole bunch of country people in hear wearing cowboy hats."  She thought that was very interesting--now that we're closer maybe we'll have to go to a rodeo in good ole' Rupert.  Then we spent the afternoon playing with my Aunt's cricket machine and I did some vinyl work for Ellie's room.

We got up on Saturday had breakfast with Mimi and Grandpa who wished Lila a Happy Birthday with a balloon which made her day and then headed back to Layton where we spent the majority of the day hanging some decor on my front wall and Ellie's room and prepping for Easter.  I asked Lila where she wanted to go for dinner for her birthday and she said breakfast so we found this little diner that served scones the size of a dinner plate with their meals and everyone ordered breakfast but Lila.



Easter Sunday the girls woke up to their Easter baskets and surprises.  










  



They each got some skirts from Mom & Dad, hair clips they really wanted--Ellie's includes colored feathers, some books  for their Power Touch, a Strawberry movie, and of course a chocolate bunny.  Mimi & Grandpa gave them each a new swimsuit, hat, and a beach towel--strawberry shortcake for Lila and a unicorn for Ellie.
 
Ironically, it is the third year in a row we have had the opportunity to spend Easter with Steve's brother's family, Doug and Joddy.  They came to Salt Lake for a wedding and decided to make a family trip of it and we are so grateful they made the effort to come see us.  We waited for Doug and Joddy's crew to get here before we did the Easter egg hunt where everyone had their own color of egg to find, which meant the older kids' eggs could be hidden more difficult, but somehow we still lost an egg--we could only find 7 of Lila's . . . maybe it will show up sometime this week.  :)  We enjoyed a light lunch and then got ready for church.  After sacrament meeting we decided to come home because Riggs needed a nap and then we could visit some more--we only get to see them once or twice a year.  Sydney and Ellie played and played and talked and talked--we hardly saw them.  We had a nice visit and yummy Easter ham, with cheesy potatoes, rolls, and asparagus, and a Miami Beach cake for dessert.  



(as I'm finishing this post I realized that I didn't take too many pictures--I wish I would have gotten pictures of the girls with great grandparents and of the park trip and yet somehow my batteries were dead when I did try to take some of the Easter egg hunt--good thing Steve got some of that on video)

Spring is such a wonderful time to celebrate Easter and life.  I know my Savior lives and I am so grateful for His example and sacrifice which makes it possible for us all to live again.