Sunday, November 10, 2013

What a Weekend

You know how it is in a hospital, you can't really ever rest. So Steve & I are always ready to leave at the 24 hour mark after having a baby, but were not granted that privilege this time around. The on-call pediatrician wanted to keep Andrew around until 4pm on Thursday to monitor him so we waited . . .

When we arrived home the girls were ecstatic to have us home and kept saying, "oh he so cute and we get to keep him." Yes it's true it can be a little surreal, but he is a part of our family.

Friday morning there was a little knock on our bedroom door and when I opened it there stood Lila (which I found odd because she never knocks) and then she says, "Where's the baby?" The day continued pretty normal until Lila started throwing-up. Yep, she got a stomach bug that got her quarantined for 24 hours.  Poor critter. She watched movies upstairs and we all washed our hands a million times, did loads of laundry, opened windows for fresh air circulation and managed to not spread the bug although it did make for an extra sleepless night juggling a newborn and a sick little girl. Mimi was so nice to spend some extra time loving on her when I was busy feeding Andrew.

I also had to take Andrew to the pediatrician on Friday because his bilirubin levels were a bit high when we left the hospital on Thursday. Then got a call from the pediatrician that night that his levels rose again and he wanted me to take him to the hospital on Saturday to get his levels tested again and they rose again so we had to go to the hospital again today for another blood draw--poor kid has been poked so many times in his 4 days of life. The doctor just called to tell me that the test showed he only went up one point so he thinks he has peaked and will start to level out, but to call his office if we notice any changes in the next couple of days.

With this news my Mom decided to head home this afternoon, so now Steve and I are out numbered. ;) We are so grateful to Mimi for helping us out during this transition period and really making the weekend not seem as crazy. Life is wonderful and I am really just taking time to enjoy my newborn and family!















Left: the girls love playing the piano and singing for Andrew which he has loved since utero.  Right: Steve & Lila catching up on sleep.























My family was able to visit us in the hospital and meet Andrew. I'm sad I didn't get a picture of my Dad with the baby. He was so generous to spend the day with us on Saturday and take some family pictures that we used for our announcement above--thanks Dad/Grandpa!