Sunday, June 21, 2015

. . . I Am Your Father

Steve's big present was a free standing portable hammock.  He loved the hammock in Mexico so much I thought he might enjoy one here.

As you probably have noticed the girls are really into Star Wars right now and I found this great shirt for Steve and the girls loved the idea of it so I ordered it up.  
Here he is with it after opening all of the fun crafty things from the girls (a bonus of year around school-Dad's get some of the fun stuff from school).  He wore the shirt all Saturday, but I didn't take a picture.

I also found the perfect t-shirt for Russ in the process and ordered it for him--the delivery of his shirt spurred a hilarious group text from his family that went something like this:
which one of you funny people sent this to dad? It says "World's Greatest Farter, I Mean Father." Farting is a standing joke in the Moore household--joke or stench . . .
Stephanie: that hilarious, my boys want a shirt with just the top part.
Jessica: hilarious! wish it was from me.
Debbie: lol! so true.

We were camping and didn't have service when all of these messages came in so finally later that day we sent a message saying it was from us and Happy Father's Day!

Grandpa Stan also got a shirt.  He is always talking about how different things are and how different we all parent so I found this and thought it fit: "It's a Grandpa Thing-You Wouldn't Understand."  He wore it with pride all weekend.

We also found this survey on lds.org and discussed it with Steve for Family Home Evening and then Grandpa Stan indulged the girls by answering a few questions Sunday evening after dinner at his Mt Green house (unfortunately I was a little distracted with a headache so I didn't catch most of it).  I posted what I could remember:

Did your parents give you an allowance? How much was it? 
*Steve - no!


Where was the first place you lived away from home? Do you have any crazy roommate stories?
* Steve - BYU.  He did have a crazy roommate and the funny thing is my best friend and I got to know him through the FHE program the singles ward did and we nick-named him No Laugh Brian so when Steve and I started dating and he started telling me stories about this roommate I just chuckled and said you mean No Laugh Brian.  He used to write with dry erase markers on dirty dishes, "Wash Me" or circle crumbs on the countertops.


What do/did you love most about your own dad?
* Steve - how hard working and patient he is
What is the best Christmas or birthday gift you've ever received and given? 
* Steve - when my Mom let me order computer parts to work on our old computer, that's what got me started down the computer career path


Name all the jobs you’ve had. Which was your favorite?
* Steve - working for Dad painting apartments etc, a rock store I can't remember the name of (he got fired from that job--you'll have to ask him about that), BYU IT before and after mission, University of Ariziona as a Phd student, and currently MGI (Moore Good Ideas)

  
What was the first car you drove? Who taught you how to drive?
* Steve - Honda Civic and Mom
* Stan - Blue Volkswagen Bug (he still talks about buying one for fun)


What was your reaction when you found out you would be a dad?
* Steve - excited and nervous all at the same time
* Stan - terrified

 
What is the most surprising thing you enjoy about being a father?
* Steve - tickling the kids (they love being tickled by their Dad).


What is a food or dish that reminds you of a specific place or person?
 * Steve - lasagna--I missed a trip to Disneyland because I didn't eat all of my lasagna one night for dinner (audible gasps from the girls--now you know why Daddy always try to get you to eat your food. girls yes we will try to be better.)  also when mommy was pregnant with Ellie she made a huge batch of lasagna and it made her sick so I had to eat the rest by myself--not so fun


Did you do any sports or clubs when you were a teen? If so, what are your favorite memories?
* Steve - did track and field--the triple jump was his favorite event
* Stan - softball--he remembers the only game his parents came to he managed to hit a homerun 


What is your favorite thing about your hometown?
* Steve - the curvy hillside roads to drive on
* Stan - I grew-up their so I know it so well and all the people there 


Did you ever get really sick or have to go to the hospital? What happened?
* Steve - broke my back at Lake Powell in a jet ski accident


What kinds of things did you collect as a kid?
* Steve - coins
* Stan - coins 


What is the best part about being a husband?
*Steve - having someone to come home to and helping each other

My response to this question: having someone to share everything with--I couldn't ask for a better partner in crime ;).  Someone who listens to me without judging, offers advice when asked--but knows when to just listen.  Someone I can leave the kids with without worrying.  Who supports me in my personal craziness which includes volleyball every Wednesday--a night where he is already committed to scouts, but will take the kids along if necessary.  A man to work along side, to dream along side, to play along side, laugh, and cry (which if you know me is quite often).  Seriously who knew a husband could mean so many things to me.  He is the first person I want to tell things to and the man I'm excited to grow old with.  Happy Father's Day Steve!