Monday, January 29, 2018

Andrew and Mommy Ski Date

We took the whole family skiing Saturday at Snowbasin. We had signed the girls up for their class pass program (which is an all day lesson and lift ticket for $49--it goes up every year--it started out being free, but still a great deal). Anyway, you have to sign up early or it sells out so we had this date on the calendar for months and it happened to be their Winter Carnival so the day was super busy. We put Andrew in a lesson too and he had a blast. The girls ended up in the same class and they rode the Needles gondola 3 times and Wildcat express 2. I was impressed. And Andrew said he worked on his turns a lot. Grandpa Stan spent the morning with us then went back to his place in Mt Green for the afternoon to be with Mimi and Marcus. We picked the kids up and went there. Mom had prepared a dinner and we hung out for a bit.

My parents planned to stay in town for the weekend because Rita and Jolie were coming into town so they planned to ski again on Monday. I thought it would be fun to take Andrew and ski Little Cat with him then spend the afternoon skiing with the group which ended up being my Dad, Uncle Kirk, Aunt Rita, cousin Jolie and her husband Joe. Andrew and I were having a blast on Little Cat. At one point he said, "can we ski this lift until it closes?" I said, "that's all day. you think you can do that?" He said, "oh that means I couldn't play at Mimi's house with Marcus?" Then he had to think about it. 

We did probably 12-15 runs and I had just texted my Mom to meet us in about 20 minutes when Andrew said, "I think I'm running out of energy." I love his cute wording. Not I'm getting tired, but I'm almost out of energy. So we did a couple of more runs then saw Mimi pull into the loading zone on our last run and waved to her from the mountain. After loading Andrew in her car I met up with the rest of the crew. My first run with them Dad took us down Two Bit which ended up being a bunch of rocky moguls. We all survived and laughed about it. Then we skied and skied. Dad said he was done about 1:30 so we skied him down to the base then went back up the Gondola. After one more run Kirk wanted to go to the base and at that point Jolie and Joe said they were going to sit too. So Rita and I rode the Gondola back up and did Dan's Run and had a blast. We sat down with the group for a bit at which point those four decided they were done and heading back to my parents house, but Rita and I did one more run. It was so much fun! I love these memories with my family and I really enjoyed my chats with my Aunt. After we got back she said, "we should have done one more run to check out Becker that would have been fun." I had told her I wanted to look at it before trying to take Andrew up there and it was so thoughtful of her to say that. We were having a good time and it was obvious because we both would have continued. That is what skiing is for me. . .a family activity we get to chat on the lifts, laugh when we get stuck on some crazy run like Two Bit, and get a little exercise in. Good good times!