Early this week, we had big plans of celebrating with Mimi and Panca and Nessa and crew and then going to the Chinese New Year celebration at the school, but then we got news of Uncle Grants passing and the funeral plans and birthday plans were put on hold.
I had also planned a ski day with some friends weeks ago for today. I felt a little guilty planning it on Marcus's birthday, but Steve quickly said, "Don't you think he would love to spend it with Dad." Which is totally true Marcus adores Steve and will follow him around and loves to say, "hi Dada" and run to him when he comes home from work. So I went skiing. And Steve handled everything great here. In a text I asked how Andrew was feeling and that's when Steve admitted to me that Marcus was running a fever, but he told me it was under control. He gave him some Motrin and put him down for a nap and that I shouldn't worry. So we finished out our ski day
and then I came home to a sad fevering birthday boy.
I had decided on a Sesame Street birthday a long time ago (using some old decorations from Ellie's 2nd birthday). Then Marcus started really liking cookies and it sounds so cute to hear him say "cookie". And last Friday I had lots of cookies leftover from our Activity Days recognition night so we went with a cookie tower for his cake and had lots of fun making decorations and coloring in new Sesame Street coloring books.
The kids helped me make the decoration balls.

I should have known from that sad face and early morning snuggling that something was off. He wasn't even interested in his new little toys there that Andrew could not stop playing with.
I had prepped dinner yesterday, Hawaiian haystacks and had some fun designing it to fit the theme:
Andrew and I also made Cookie Monster ice cream for dessert to go with the cookie tower.

The whole time we were singing Happy Birthday to Marcus, he was shaking his head screaming, "No. No. No." I didn't video it. . .too many things going on. We watched a little Olympics while we at dessert. Then everyone brushed their teeth and went to bed. Well except Marcus I snuggled him a bit longer after giving him another dose of Motrin (poor kids fever spiked to 102.4 with Tyenol in his system). Now he's sleeping. Hopefully he'll get a good rest and can kick this thing quickly. . .or I'll happily snuggle him more tonight, but I would have done that for his birthday without the fever. . .thus is life.
Marcus, I love you! We love watching you grow and know you are a very important part of our family. You always have an enthusiastic, "Hi!" when you see us and we love to watch you try and say, "ok google" to get our new Google Mini to talk to you. And you always stop and pose for a picture when the camera is out, "Cheese!" Here's to you baby! Happy 2nd Birthday!





