My Dear Aunt Brenda passed away last week. She found out she had stage 4 pancreatic cancer over the 4th of July and she and my Uncle Kirk were real troopers with how they endured. My girls had developed a really close relationship with her and they were saddened to hear about her diagnosis and upset with her passing. We decided we would take every one to the viewing Sunday evening and then I would travel back with my sister, Venessa after the funeral Monday.
It made for a really long Sunday because that day I was also sustained as Young Women's President. That calling caught me by surprise and I have been humbled, overwhelmed and quite emotional about it. I know the Lord provides a way and I am excited to get to know the girls better just a little overwhelmed at this point -- I've even been having little mini panic attacks which I've never had before, even Steve said, I've never seen you like this. I believe it is Satan trying to put doubt in my mind. I'm hoping once I get going things we'll feel better. I have had several spiritual experiences as I've prayed about counselors and the calling itself so I know this is what the Lord would have me do now. But it did make for a long Sunday since we couldn't leave until after church.
Steve was a real trooper and drove the kids and Nate and his two older girls back home after the funeral (4 hours of driving within 6 hours). My sweet cousin's girl Tristan who used to spend time with us and Ellie when they were little said the only time she broke down at the viewing was when Ellie & Lila came through crying. It touched her and I thought it was sweet that she remembered those moments from her childhood and the bond still exists.
The funeral was lovely and there were a lot a lot of people there to support the family. I'm so grateful for the knowledge we have of Heavenly Father's plan and that we can see Aunt Brenda again. We talked with the kids about how our spirits are what give our bodies life and that Aunt Brenda's spirit is still living it's just her body here and we will miss her.
Steve and the kids did good yesterday without me. I had made preparations for the kids after school and I had made crockpot meal that Steve could just plug in and it would be ready for us for dinner and the kids had school lunch. It worked out great and I am so grateful for the friends who helped out and have shown their love and support as all of this has been happening. The kids were great and Steve said he was ready to take Andrew to school in his basketball shorts and Andrew said, "Dad Mom would not like this. I'm going to go change quickly." Cute little boy! Ellie watched Andrew when she got home and helped him get his school work done while completing her homework. They are amazing and I am so glad they are my family!!
Marcus and I had some one-on-one bonding time and some extra time spent with Enzo and Nessa's new baby Arianna (the kids all oohed and ahhed over her at the viewing). Mimi even gave Marcus some pj mask pajamas and he refused to take the shirt off for the funeral so we just had to put his dress shirt on top, we called it his super hero look.
Summer Fun
11 years ago
