Monday, February 17, 2020

Be Mine!

Friday morning Andrew woke up and came downstairs and said, "What's with all the stuff on the counter?" 
 

I asked him what day it was and he said, "Black Friday?" What!?! We don't even shop on black Friday so why he thought of that, I have no idea. I told him to look at his calendar and then he said, "Oh Valentine's Day! YAY!" Then he asked if I went out shopping in the middle of the night to get everything, oh the innocence. Love him! They all got an apron and a breakfast appliance, including me. I needed a new waffle maker since the one we got for our wedding 16 years ago is starting to lose some of it's enamel and as I was looking for a new one I found these cute ones and the kids loved making waffles in their new makers for breakfast and we used Ellie's sandwich maker the next day. Marcus got a play dough pizza set.











The long weekend has been wonderful. Lila was able to compete in the state VEX robotic competition (all 4 Heritage Elementary teams qualified which was amazing for the first year).


On Saturday, Ellie had tennis and went with a friend to another youth dance. This friend is a boy and he came and picked her up with his Mom and it was kind of weird almost hinting towards the dating years which it wasn't a date just made me realize how close we are to that. And Sunday everyone was a little tired and cranky from late Saturday nights so we relaxed and did a back scratch train while listening to our book then everyone went to bed early.



That same night I got a call from one of my young women who is a CNA at the facility where Grandpa O. lives. She said Grandpa was a little worked up about something and wondering if I could come over for a bit. I said sure (I only live 2 minutes away), but when I hung up I began to wonder what I would even do and Steve just said, "Brit you're a familiar face and just having you there is all he needs." When I got there he was out in the commons area and he was telling everyone he owned the building and he needed them all to leave. I said Grandpa this is my friend Caitlin and he said are you willing to vouch for her and I said YES! And he said well I need $500 on the table now. I giggled and said, "let's go to your room where you can see all the hearts my kids put up for you." So we walked to his room and he sat on his bed and we chatted for a bit. I said something about my kids being cranky today too and that there must be something in the water and he genuinely laughed which melted my heart. Then he said he was tired, "I haven't slept in 24 hours." I said ok let me tuck you in. And he replied, "That would be great I haven't slept in 48 hours." ;) I was happy that just my presence helped and that the decorations my kids put up brought him some comfort.

Today Steve and I took Andrew skiing. The girls didn't want to go and well it was a crazy busy day at Snowbasin. We ended up parking in the overflow lot L but it turned out to be a good thing because there was a shuttle there waiting for us and when we drove past the Canyon Rim lot there was a line of people waiting for a shuttle (someone said they waited for 30 minutes to catch a shuttle from that parking lot). Once we got up on the mountain we had a good time. Andrew said he didn't want to go off the trails today, but then he saw a jump through the trees and started going through the trees with Steve. I wish I had a camera to capture all of the fist pumps in the air or thumbs up after following Steve through some trees. He was definitely having a good time. We made our way over to Strawberry since it was a clear day -- it was his first time up Strawberry and we had a good time. I tried to get him to eat a snack in the gondola, but he wouldn't eat too much which lead to a little break down on our last run of the day, but overall a great time.














He really liked seeing the great Salt Lake from there and Steve pointed out the area where we live. Those clouds rolled in just as we were getting to the top of Strawberry but still a great day for the view.


We got home and took everyone out to a late lunch or early dinner at Cafe Sabor. Marcus really enjoyed talking with the waiter and kept asking for more chocolate milk and then managed to spill his entire cup on our way out the door -- ooops. Ellie ordered a big burrito (teenage appetite). It was a lot of fun and yummy food.


I realized today that taking Andrew skiing meant that I have been able to spend some one-on-one time with everyone over the past week and have really enjoyed it. Lila and I went to lunch with some friends Friday, Feb 7th. I took Ellie to the temple Thurs, Feb 13th before she got the last of her baby teeth pulled (4 molars that were a little tricky because one of the roots broke off) we got a treat before and after and really enjoyed the temple so I still count it as a win. Steve and I even went out to dinner and our first date night play at the Hale Center Theater on Feb 13th and really enjoyed it. And Marcus, well he gets a lot of Mommy time and has enjoyed having the kids home today to spend extra time with them.


This week we have 2 orthodontist appointments, one for Marcus whose wire from his expander to fix his crossbite started to slip off his teeth so he came downstairs one morning and said, "call the dentist my teeth are falling out." And Ellie's first follow-up since getting braces -- I gave her the lecture last night about brushing and keeping things clean (can I blame teen years twice in one post?). 

This is my crew and I love every one of them and the adventures we have together and the tears we shed together and the joys of loving each other forever!