Tuesday, December 15, 2020

Santa on the Slopes

We're really taking advantage of the elementary kids doing online school and took off for an afternoon of skiing again today. We were hoping yesterday's storm would bring more snow than it did, but it was still nice to have a fresh skiff and the conditions were better than last week (albeit it was a little cold). Marcus and I did two runs down Little Cat while Steve took Andrew and Lila up Wild Cat to see how the conditions were. They met us after their first run and we all rode up Wild Cat together. Marcus barrelled down the first section super fast (reminded me of our first run at Pomerelle and I had a little panic attack) then he started making turns and snow plowing to slow down. He did good, but wanted a break so he and I headed back to the car for a snack and a break. On our way to the car we saw Santa.


Marcus was certain he is not the real Santa but I keep telling him Santa lives in the North Pole and can ski all year, but he didn't believe me. While eating our snacks we talked with Grandpa and then saw Santa coming back up on the lift. So we decided to get our skis on and ski down with Santa.


So we did one more Little Cat run and then met the gang back over at Wild Cat and did one more big run. Marcus did really good this time. However, Andrew got out ahead of us at one point and I was worried about him because I couldn't see him. Lila skied ahead and then I saw her on the side of the run waving her pole at us. She had found Andrew crashed and crying on the side. When Steve and I got there we were a little shocked because there were tracks that looked like someone had skied through the trees and over a rock to right where he landed so we were concerned he had done that. I kept asking him are you hurt or scared? He just kept saying is too deep I can't get out. Eventually Steve helped him up and back in his skis and he told us that he wasn't skiing through the trees but that he just went off the trail and fell. Ironically we think it was close to where Ellie ran into a tree. Good thing we had decided this was our last run of the day. We went all the way to the bottom so the kids could hit the bumps off Little Cat then we rode Little Cat up to the car. As we were driving out of the parking lot we managed to see Santa again and Andrew's eyes got huge with excitement. It was a good day! Lila is really a good confidant skier, she gets a little nervous at the beginning of if we're doing a new run, but she really skis well and has fun once she gets going. If only we could convince Ellie to skip school more often. ;)