Saturday, November 6, 2021

Andrew's Big Day

 

It has been a crazy week. On top of Andrew getting COVID tested last Sunday, I took Marcus to get tested on Thursday. He started running a fever and Steve's parents were flying into town so I thought I'd better check before they get here. I preregistered him and drove to the site. When we finally got to the front of the line the guy told me my registration didn't come through and my email confirmation was not helpful so I had to re-register. As I was frantically typing on my phone, Marcus said, "My nose is bleeding." I thought great just as we're getting ready to swab his nose. The nurse was great and was gentle with him and thankfully again it was negative. I sent Steve a text asking him to pickup Lila because the line was longer than I had hoped. I called when we got done and that's when Steve realized he was heading to dance and not to school so he had to turn around and get her. Ooops. During a late night prayer I was begging that everything would go well and that we would not get anyone sick, I was reminded of a recent convert's talk and how the week before her baptism was rough and it testified to her that Satan is real. I texted her and thanked her for the talk as it brought me comfort. She then asked if her and her son Paul (who is Andrew's age and is in his primary class) could come to the baptism because Paul thinks only adults get baptized and he's nervous to do it for himself. I said of course! We'd love to have them.


Friday morning Ellie, Steve, Grandma Moore, and I went and played pickleball. It was a fun little outing. Then afternoon craziness happened. I took Andrew to the church to practice his song once in the chapel before Saturday.



Then it was dance carpool (where I had offered to take a friend home and then realized she needed a ride there too so we had to hurry back and grab her). Carole and I hit the grocery store where we picked up a turkey and things we needed to do a Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday. Then we took the kids swimming at the hotel pool where Mimi and Grandpa were staying. The girls were excited to try out their new swimsuits I had gotten them and everyone had fun.


I started tossing and turning around 4am thinking of all the things that needed to happen for the day. Andrew was excited to see presents and his birthday banner. I had him wear the hat he got from school on Friday where he took some birthday rice krispie treats for the class. Marcus could not wait for Andrew to open presents. I explained they are Andrew's presents and Marcus said, "yes, but when he shares it's like I get new stuff too." So funny. Andrew knew he was getting at least one long sleeve shirt because the day before he had ran out of long sleeve shirts and I told him he could get one out of the drier or open an early present. He was happy to find 3 more shirts, a set of scriptures, another pair of Sunday shoes, and some parts to upgrade his bike shifters.





The service was great. Andrew did really well on his musical number and kept going even when I made a mistake. It really was the first time he's performed a solo so I was proud of him. Steve said as they were walking to the font for the baptism Andrew said, "Well the hard part is over." Referring to the fact that the musical number was done. We found out on Tuesday that our ward was the last baptism of the day so we asked to use the gym for the luncheon. We had a fabulous time hanging out with family.




That evening the girls went shopping and the boys started working on Andrew's bike.

 

We also decided to let the kids open an early Christmas gift from Carole and Russ. They funded a Nintendo Switch which Andrew had been wanting for a while. It was quite exciting.



Sunday we had an early Thanksgiving with Carole & Russ, Stephanie & her family, and Lexi. It was a lot of fun.


 

I asked the boys what their favorite part was and Marcus said, "At the church, not the churchey thing but the lunch part afterwords." Andrew said, "The whole day was amazing!"