Sunday, December 11, 2022

Light the World 2023

This year we decided to change our nightly tradition and instead reading from the Gospel Art pictures (we have done that for at least 12 years) we bought the Immanuel Wreath Candle Centerpiece. There are 25 different names that Christ was called with a slot for a candle. Each night we light a new candle with the previous candles and reflect on the many roles Christ plays in our lives. We've also been talking about the Light the World (watch the video on that page it is so lovely) each night and sharing ways we have been able to share the light of Christ through our service and actions. And the candlelight is such wonderful visual for this conversation of lighting the world.


I'm not going to lie our nights have been a little more hectic with older kids schedules and just regular activities (basketball practice, violin/piano lessons, dance etc) that we haven't been really consistent with it but I love the conversations we have around each name and how we are trying to Light the World. The boys love that they still eat a chocolate from their advent calendars each night along with the candles and of course we have to take turns blowing them out. 😂

Tonight we talked about how Jesus is called a Teacher. Did you know out of the 90 times Jesus is addressed directly in the gospels, 60 times He was called Teacher. He is the master Teacher. We also talked about how he is a Healer. I really liked a thought we found about this name. It said, "Jesus is the 'Great Physician'. He came to cure the sick and poor in spirit and to heal our souls and restore our relationship with God." I had never thought of that as being a healing process but I really like the idea of that.

We have had some real personal experiences this past week with heartache and concern for those we love dearly and have been able to share some really neat experiences around the candles as we learn more about Jesus. I'm truly grateful for the role He plays in our lives and this sacred time we focus a little more on His life and what we can do to be more like Him. I really looking forward to our Christmas Eve dinner with all of the candles lit.