Here's the life sketch Venessa and I shared at the graveside.
Venessa: Grandpa was raised by his Uncle Bill & Aunt Eva on their farm. Grandpa learned to
work hard hauling hay, milking cows, and any chore that he was asked to do. He went to Rupert
High School playing and lettering in basketball and loved to wear his purple lettermen jacket.
Britney: Elwood married his high school sweetheart, Fern Rytting, on January 28,
1951. Grandpa loved Grandma very much. Whenever I would visit him, without failing he
would always ask me “Where is your grandmother”. And I would say she’s busy (as I’m sure
she is in heaven) and after being asked a few times in one visit I finally said, “Grandpa,
Grandma is in heaven.” And he teared up and said, “Oh I wish you wouldn’t have told me that
because now I’m sad.” Oh boy did I feel bad. I’ve never been so grateful in my life to be asked
the same question again as I was, five minutes later when he asked “where’s your
grandmother?”
Venessa: Grandpa was a jack of all trades - there wasn't anything he couldn't do. He had many
jobs throughout his life including working for Parker's Laundry, which he later purchased,
Triple C Concrete, Larsen Chevrolet, and the Bureau of Land Management when he was forced
into early retirement due to an accident on the job. Elwood spent many hours, days and weeks
during the summers fighting fires for the BLM. He was their best CAT driver and cut many fire
lines. He tells the story of one fire that was growing fast and coming at them. All the young fire
fighters were going to try and out run the fire. Elwood told them they would never out run it and
to get in the CAT with him and then he drove it into the lake. He said the fire sounded like jet
engines as it went over them, but he saved everyone’s lives that day with his quick thinking. He
enjoyed working for BLM because he enjoyed helping others.
Britney: When someone you love becomes a memory, the memories of them become treasures. So today, we thought we’d share our treasures – memories we each had of Woody aka Dad and Grandpa. My memory is the day I passed my driver’s test to get my license – I walked to Grandpa’s house after and told him I just passed and got my license. He tossed me the keys to his truck and said, “great go to the store and pick us up some milk and cookies.” I looked at him and said, “By myself?”. And he said, “well you have your license don’t you?” So off I went. I recently told him that story (within the last few months) and he looked at me said, “well I must have trusted you an awful lot.” Even with his memory issues he didn’t doubt his positive judgement of my ability for one second.
Venessa: One of the memories that stick with me is Grandpa was always busy. He didn't like to sit still. I remember in his last house he had his garage situated so he could work on anything that needed fixed. I remember one time when Mom and Dad were out of town I was staying with them and had drove our to the house to get the mail and a few things while doing so I scratched Mom's car on the mailbox and came back to Grandpa's crying that I had scratched the car and they were never going to let me drive again. He quickly scooped me into one of his famous bear hugs and told me he could fix he. Which he did. I remember him always making me feel safe and loved!
Britney: Denice remembers her Dad telling her if you want to come you got to keep up so she learned to bait her own hook, gut her own fish, and do everything her older brothers did.
He was always there when he needed you. When I couldn’t sleep at night I would sneak into his room and he would turn onto his side and put my feet in between his legs and wrap his arms around me so I’d hold still and once I fell asleep he’d take me back to bed.
He was always out with the kids. When we had evening sacrament meetings in between our meetings Dad would be outside with the kids playing baseball or he would take us all for a drive up to Pomerelle and just enjoying the company.
I drove the ranchero when I was attending Dixie college and working at the theater. Quite often coming home late at night around midnight I would always run out of gas and I would call Dad and he would just say, “where are you?” and he would come with gas and get me going again.
Stan learned how to mechanic from Woody. He would come out and give him instructions and a list of things to do and then say, “come get me when you’re done with that and we’ll see how it looks and go from there.”
Venessa: Jake remembers him trying to fix his buck teeth by sticking his fingers in his mouth and pushing on them every time he saw him, but his most treasured memories have been the last few years being in Idaho and visiting him and being able to serve him and seeing him interact with Anson – he remembers one day in particular Anson got a slingshot and took it to show Great Grandpa O. and he told Anson how he used to be able to shoot a sparrow out of the sky with his beany flipper. Having these opportunities for Anson to build a relationship with Grandpa was such a blessing.
Britney: Uncle Les “said he owned a model A he had been looking around for 100years for and he left it behind for a summer when he went back to Carson City and when he came back Grandpa had sold it for “damn” beat up canoe and a three horse motor he had traded my car for.
He said his favorite memory was: Whenever mother sent us something, she sent us (Elwood & I) the same thing and I always busted mine within in a week and Elwood would always have his forever because he took good care of it. One time she sent us bb guns and we were out back with them and we decided to ride the calf we had so we set the bb guns up against the fence. Well the calf bucked Elwood off and sent him straight into a pile of manure. Elwood was so mad he got up and hit the calf with his bb gun and broke it in half and I was so glad his was broke before mine.
I’ll tell you we had a great time together and we bonded really well. We’re brothers forever!”
Venessa: From April: Grandpa always gave me a kiss on the forehead and sang April showers bring May flowers.
Britney: From Anna: I just always getting big bear hugs from grandpa and him calling me Annie
Venessa: From Adam: My favorite memory was when we hooked up the shetland ponies to the wagon and he let me drive.
Britney: From Matt: He was always so happy to see our kids. He loved them so much. I remember him taking them on scooter rides, they just couldn't get enough. And going on a walk to the park by his house, and playing with the kids on the playset. Even in the care center. He couldn't get enough hugs from Anney, or enough smiles from Miri. He really showed lots of love. I always looked forward to visiting as a kid. The canal. The animals. The yard. It was always a good time going to Grandpa's house.
Venessa: From Jill: I remember the wagon! It was light blue. I remember his 3 legged dog, named Poocher, and learning how to water-ski in the canal next to Grandpa's house. He always did give the best bear hugs too, and always called me "Jill-pill".
Britney: From Josh: I remember how gentle he was with me and with all of us, and his laugh. It was my favorite thing to hear and so unique! I remember playing in and around the canals. I really enjoyed trying to trap the water-skeeters. I also remember the really long hill that was on the property. I used to roll down it and get bruised up. And the Red and Gold couch set and the wrought-iron railing with the gate that we had to keep shut. Grandma made sure of that. And then one summer when we went water skiing the canals behind my dad’s old blue Bronco. I remember being very bad at that adventure (Josh
you’re not alone – I remember not being too successful at at that too but still having fun). But Josh really did enjoy the canals and water-skeeters.
Venessa: Laretta: One of my special memories with my father-in-law was hunting pheasants with him and Grant. I really enjoyed watching the dog set the birds and then Grant and Woody shooting them and the dog fetching them. Then I found out the reason they wanted me to come with them, Grant and Woody taught me how to pack these dead birds for them (she says they had a name for it and she can’t remember what it was so if anyone remembers let us know). Holding their feet and legs between my fingers I could carry quite a few at a time. They would laugh at me. I was serious about this job they gave me. I loved it!
Britney: From Shad: A couple of his memories were fishing with Grandpa when they camped up on the Salmon River. And also when Grandpa irrigated his yard he would be out there helping him - he really enjoyed irrigating the yard with Grandpa.
Venessa: From Libby: It was Thanksgiving 1992, and grandma and grandpa were down at our house to celebrate with us. Mom needed a few things from the store, so grandpa asked for a helper to come along and show him the way to the store. I piped up since I knew my neighborhood like the back of my hand (and since I really wanted to get out of my lame kindergarten Thanksgiving reading assignment). We hopped in the car and as we approached the right turn needed to get to the store, I said "okay grandpa, turn right here". Oops he missed the turn. Don't worry though, since I was so handy with my driving directions, I knew a second way to get there. Once again as we approached the turn I told grandpa to take a right and again he kept going straight! All hope was lost now, because I had used up the only two ways I knew to get to the store. I asked grandpa why he didn't turn and he stated that he didn't hear me tell him to turn. But he wasn't nervous, he assured me he would be able to find the Smiths Food store we were searching for. We drove and drove and drove, all the while grandpa telling me he knew exactly where we were and that he'd find it soon. It seemed like we drove for hours, but I didn't mind one bit. Sitting next to my grandpa, cruising the streets of Vegas....I couldn't ask for anything better. Eventually he spotted a Wendy's and pulled in. We sat together enjoying chocolate frosties and debating which one of us had gotten us lost. Years and years later he still was adamant that I didn't tell him to turn, and to this day I swear that I told him TWICE to turn. We finally made it back home without the needed ingredients in hand, but the memories I made with grandpa that day and the laughter it brought us for years to come far outweighed anything we were missing that day.
Britney: Nancy says, When Dad was giving us advice he would always say “grand pappy” “My grand pappy always said. . .” one time I asked him who grand pappy was and he said he didn’t know. . .I always thought he was referring to Uncle Bill.
He would come into our rooms every morning to wake us up for school singing songs he made
up. Followed by him making French toast every morning for breakfast. After dipping the bread in the egg and putting it in the pan he would pour the remaining eggs over the bread so I would eat the whole egg for breakfast.
When I was a toddler and Dad was taking a picture of me, he would have me hold my finger up so he could focus the camera but he would forget to tell me to put my finger down so many of my toddler pictures have me with my finger up as if to say, “I am one year old”
I was a Daddy’s girl and his favorite “I’m sure” (he made us all feel like we were his favorites). If Mom said no I would ask Dad and he would always say Yes. I quickly learned to bypass Mom altogether and just ask Dad for what I wanted.
Dad was a man of great patience. Even when I got two tickets in two weeks and wrecked his Datsun pickup. Somehow, he got one ticket dropped, paid for the other and had the pickup fixed and he never even got mad at me.
I remember many 4th of julys that dad would get up early in the morning, load up chairs and the BBQ grill. He would set the chairs up around the square so we would have the best seats to watch the parade. He would take the BBQ grill to grandma Rytting's house and BBQ up the best hamburger and hot dogs for the whole family.
When dad did the landscaping for the house on the farm (the house I was raised in) he took into consideration the canal and planted grass right to the edge of the canal bank. I spent many hours, along with the neighborhood kids swimming in the canal. It was nice to get out of the water and have grass there to lay in to dry off.
Venessa: From Megan: When we would stay the night we would eat fruit and cottage cheese out of those plastic orange bowls and shuffle our feet on the floor and shock the top of his head.
Britney: From Amber: I remember whenever I would call him claiming to be sick, grandpa would come and pick me up from school and take me home so I could have chicken noodle soup. Even on the days I wasn't really sick. Amber was convinced that only grandpa and the way he prepared chicken noodle soup was the cure to any “illness”.
Venessa: From Cody: I remember Grampa teaching me how to work on things and build things. Helping Grampa with yard work. Teaching Grampa how to do a proper burnout with his truck and teaching Grampa how to weld. I remember how patient Grampa always was even when I ran over Grammas new maple tree with the riding mower he still took me for ice cream after and said maybe Gramma won't notice. I also remember Helping Grampa customize his exhaust on his scooter because he wanted it to sound like a Harley which ended up being to loud so we put it back to normal. I remember Grampa would call and ask if he could watch my dog just cause he was bored. And Grampa was always a hard worker and I enjoyed stopping by and helping with whatever project he was working on. Grampa has some big shoes to fill but I always hoped to be just like him.
Britney: As noted in his obituary, Grandpa loved to plan reunions and we’re sure he's now
planning the best and sweetest reunion yet
Venessa: -- when we will be with him again.
Together: We love you Grandpa!
I received the sweetest text just hours after Grandpa passed away from one of my young women, Caitlin that works as a nurse and Grandpa's facility. She had sent me a video of Grandpa at the beginning of May just so I could see his face and that was the last time I heard him say my name. Here's her sweet message: "I really don't know why I had the feeling but I had the strongest feeling to have Woody say hello to you, he was doing great that day and I had nothing to worry about his health I just had the impression and I'm so glad I listened. I just heard about Woody's passing and I am so sorry Britney, Woody was a wonderful man and he brought a smile to my face every day at work even when he was yelling at me telling me to leave his facility (haha). I love him so much and I know you do too. Thank you for being so awesome and caring. Woody isn't in pain any more and I find so much peae in that. I hope you feel peace and love because he was an amazing man, you were very lucky to have him as a grandpa."
Another memory from me. One evening while Steve was still at work, I had put the boys to bed and the girls were done with homework so I decided to head over to visit Grandpa by myself. He had just finished dinner and they had just started the new Lion King movie so I walked him over to the couch and snuggled and watched the movie. He would ask me what was happening and I would explain it to him. We almost watched the whole thing before he was antsy to get back to his room. I walked him to his room and he said, "now be sure to tell me what channel and time that movie plays again so I can be sure to catch the end." Streaming movies was obviously not something he understood. I nodded and said I would. And you know he remembered us watching that movie together for a couple of weeks. The next time I visited he said you forgot to send me the info so I could finish watching that movie. It was a sweet evening for just the two of us like we didn't have a care in the world.
