Monday, May 29, 2017

Memorial Day Memories

Lila was finally feeling better and the weather was lovely so we had a great day. Steve went for a bike ride with Matt and I took the kids to the park to do our jog/bike/play thing. This time I timed Ellie on her bike to see if you could increase her speed for her triathlon. When we got home we got out the slip-n-slide and the kids played on it for hours. Even Marcus enjoyed playing in the sprinkler part or trying to get a drink from it.
I was being lazy and took this picture from my comfortable seat on the patio. :)

We grilled hamburgers and hot dogs and watched the Music & the Spoken Word Memorial Day special. The message came from JFK famous inaugural words, "Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country." It was a good thought that we should look outside ourselves and serve others. I told the kids when I was growing up we used to go to the cemetery every year and clean the headstones and leave flowers--that's what you do when you have 5 generations living in the same area. We don't have that opportunity to visit family grave sites so I thought the Musical Special was a nice touch to help us remember why we celebrate Memorial Day. We then let the kids roast some marshmallows and make s'mores. It was a fun day! And definitely a good kick-off to summer (if we can endure 4 more crazy days of school).